In keeping with its vision and values, the Pan-Afrikan Society Community Forum (PASCF) is committed to maintaining the highest degree of ethical conduct amongst all its staff and associated personnel. To help increase understanding, this Code of Conduct details PASCF’s expectations of employees in key areas.
Scope and purpose
This Code of Conduct applies to all contracted staff, international and local, employed by PASCF. Adapted Codes of Conduct are applicable to volunteers, partners, contractors and suppliers.
The purpose of this Code of Conduct is to set out the conduct expected of PASCF staff whilst under contract to the organisation, and forms part of all contracts of employment. The Code is applicable at all times. Breaches of the Code of Conduct are grounds for disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal.
Code of Conduct Standards
As an PASCF employee I will:
· I will treat all people fairly with respect and dignity
· I will seek to ensure that my conduct does not bring PASCF into disrepute and does not impact on or undermine my ability to undertake the role for which I am employed
· I will not work under the influence of alcohol or use, or be in possession of, illegal substances on PASCF premises or accommodation
· I will not engage in sexual activity with children (persons under the age of 18). Mistaken belief in the age of a child is not a defence
· I will not exchange money, employment, goods or services for sex, including sexual favours or other forms of humiliating, degrading or exploitative behaviour, is prohibited. This includes any exchange of assistance that is due to beneficiaries of assistance
· I will not engage in sexual relationships with beneficiaries of assistance, since they are based on inherently unequal power dynamics
· I will not engage in any commercially exploitative activities with children or vulnerable adults including child labour or trafficking
· I will not physically assault a child or vulnerable adult
· I will not emotionally or psychologically abuse a child or vulnerable adult
· I will adhere to all legal and organisational health and safety requirements in force at my location of work
· I will comply with any local security guidelines and be pro-active in informing management of any necessary changes to such guidelines
· I will behave in a manner such as to avoid any unnecessary risk to the safety, health and welfare of myself and others, including partner organisations and communities with whom we work
· I will ensure that I use PASCF assets and resources entrusted to me in a responsible manner and will account for all money and property
· I will not use PASCF IT equipment, software or e-mail and social media platforms to engage in activity that is illegal under local law or that encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offence. This includes any material that intimidates or harasses any group based on protected characteristics, or encourages extremism
· I will not use PASCF IT equipment to view, download, create, distribute or save in any format inappropriate or abusive material including but not limited to pornography or depictions of child abuse
· I will seek permission before agreeing to being nominated as a prospective candidates or another official role for any political party
· I will not accept significant gifts or any remuneration from governments, communities with whom we work, donors, suppliers and other persons which have been offered to me as a result of my employment with PASCF
· I will exercise due care in all matters of official business, and not divulge any confidential information relating to colleagues, work-related matters or any sensitive information unless legally required to do so
Complaints and reports
PASCF staff are obligated to bring to the attention of the relevant manager any potential incident, abuse or concern that they witness, are made aware of, or suspect which appears to breach the Standards contained in this Code. PASCF staff reporting concerns are protected by the Disclosure of Malpractice in the Workplace policy.
Staff members who have a complaint or concern relating to breach of the Code should report it immediately to their line manager. If the staff member does not feel comfortable reporting to their line manager (for example if they feel that the report will not be taken seriously, or if that person is implicated in the concern) they may report to any other appropriate staff member. For example, this could be a senior manager or a member of the HR Team.
Staff members receiving reports or concerns are obliged to action or refer the report immediately as per the PASCF Complaints Policy and procedures
Safeguarding Complaints policy
Disclosure of Malpractice in the Workplace policy
Equality and Diversity policy